2020/08/11

A Life At Stake - 1955 - USA

A Life At Stake - 1955 - 5/10

Edward’s designer homes are hot sellers … until his partner gambles away the business.
Now Edward finds himself in a cheap boarding house, broke, a one man pity party.
Then comes the offer, from a moist piece of cheesecake.



She’s a realtor “We buy property. You build, I sell. We’ll be rich.”
Only problem, Ed has no capital.
“That’s OK,” purrs Doris, “I’ll pay your share, or rather my husband will.”
“Husband?”
“He’s always away on business,” she leans forward. “I’m alone.
“Still, my husband will want to insure you, because if anything happens to you, he’ll lose his investment.”
”Insure me?” Ed starts to wake up. “For how much?”
“Ooh, $300,000.”
That’s the scam. He’ll be worth more dead than alive. But Ed is desperate, so he accepts.
Cheap Noir is Grade-C hash.
Quality supporting cast, offsets the chronically wooden Keith Andes.
Editing is crappy, but there is a cool Les Baxter score.